Creek's Information Aggregation

Sunday, February 4, 2007

Resume Writing Part One --- Another common problem


 del.icio.us



After talking about What job hunting is. in the last post.

The FAQ here is “I sent out nearly hundreds of resumes already, and I waited for weeks, why the hell I haven’t got a single call from the employers out there?” Assuming the timing is right (You sent out every resume right after they posted out the position) I would say the only problem is in your resume.

There are lots of people talking about common resume problems, but one of the most common problems that is always being ignored is people tend to put emphasis on their achievements and on their importance to the companies. For example, the company that I work for (a software company) has been hiring recently, and I read some of the resumes. I remember one guy mentioned something like this: “ I was a key member of the development team, and I solved a major problem in the system, so that the performance improved by 200%”. This may sound great to this guy’s current employer, but for his future employers, it means nothing. First of all, they don’t know what “key member” means here, a team lead or what? Secondly, how did he make the performance improvement? Where is the proof?

In one word, the only thing that a employer cares is “Can you do the job or not?” I will write about this tomorrow.

Labels:

 del.icio.us

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home